Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Summer Exploration

A lot of people do interesting things during the summer but very few get to say that they directed a space shuttle mission, had lunch with an astronaut, and walked on the moon. That, however, is exactly what I got to do this summer. Well, not exactly. But I came as close as I could to doing every one of those activities while I was at Space Camp. Located in Huntsville, Alabama is the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. I attended the Advanced Space Academy there and left with my heart set on exploring the stars.
Upon arriving at camp we were separated into teams named after the fathers of rocket science. With those teams we participated in various interesting activities and seminars throughout the week. We began by wandering through the rocket park that is located there and learning all about the various machines that humans have launched into space. Gazing up at those rockets reminded me what an incredible technological feat space travel is and how impressive it is to say that we have put humans on the moon, have rovers on Mars, and even a ship, Voyager, that is in interstellar space. 
Throughout the week my team also participated in various classes to learn about the different systems aboard the ISS and the space shuttles. We filtered an unknown mixture to learn about the incredible filters that make life aboard the ISS possible. We also built model rockets with the hope of returning an egg (eggstronaut) to Earth without shattering. Additionally, we made shielding to try and protect the eggstronaut from heat to simulate the shields used to protect astronauts on reentry through Earth's atmosphere. I was fascinated by all of these activities as they taught me a lot about space travel even though I stayed firmly planted on Earth. 
Even though all the previously described activities were fun my absolute favorite part of Space Camp were the simulations. At the camp they have various machines to simulate parts of space travel. I rode in a centrifuge at three times Earth's gravity and bounced in a chair that simulates 1/6 of Earth's gravity, equivalent to the moon. Throughout the week my team and I took part in five different simulated missions to space. The U.S. Space and Rocket Center is equipped with a cavernous room full of mock space shuttles. There are also the various components of the ISS. In a room next door is Mission Control. During each mission I got to try a different position. I was shuttle commander, the ISS commander, the capsule communicator and, my favorite, flight director. I was stunned by how accurate these simulations were. Every switch, every button was designed to function like the real thing. We even got to wear flight suits for the missions so we felt very official. 
On my final day at camp I had one last incredible experience; I had lunch with an astronaut. I had previously signed up to be part of a group of around 30 people who got to hear astronaut Don Thomas speak about his four shuttle missions and what he believes to be important about space exploration. I asked Dr. Thomas what he thought the best thing is for my generation to do to revive the same enthusiasm for space exploration that existed during the Apollo age. His response was that we should talk about space travel and why it is important. To share with everyone the wonders that lie in the stars just waiting to be explored. I agree with him completely and think that one of the best places for a love of space to be cultivated is at Space Camp. There anyone and everyone can learn about the wonders and mysteries of the cosmos that are beckoning us to, in the words of Carl Sagan, leave the shores of earth behind and enter the cosmic ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment